Vanilla Syrup Cupcakes with Buttercream Icing
Cupcakes just make everyone's day. These cupcakes have a delicious texture with a vanilla syrup soaked into the cake!
For the cake
- 200g Unsalted butter
- 200g Caster sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 Large Eggs
- Pinch of salt
- 200g Plain flour
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 2 tsp Semi-skimmed milk
For the syrup
For the icing
- 170g Unsalted butter
- 370g Icing sugar
- Small pinch of salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Pink food colouring (or your desired colour)
- Pink sprinkles and flowers to decorate (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Line a muffin tin with large cupcake cases.
- Whisk the softened butter and caster sugar. Cream together until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla, and gradually add the eggs whilst mixing. Mix until evenly combined
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt and milk. Fold ingredients together gently until mixed
- Spoon in the batter between each case evenly
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes until a beautiful golden brown and a skewer comes out clean from the cake.
- While the Cupcakes are baking, prepare the syrup. Add the ingredients to the pan over a low heat and gently stir until completely combined. Then turn up the heat and boil for one minute. Immediately take the pan off the heat.
- As soon as the cupcakes come out of the oven, poke holes in them using a skewer and drizzle the syrup into the cupcakes. Use a brush to brush the syrup evenly over the top of each cupcake.
- Leave the cakes to completely cool.
- Once cool, prepare the buttercream icing. Add the softened butter, vanilla, and icing sugar to a bowl and beat until pale and fluffy, this may take around 5 minutes. Add the food colouring and stir through the mixture.
- Using a spatula or piping bag, frost the cupcakes and decorate!