Toad in the hole
- 2 free-range eggs
- 125g plain flour
- 150ml milk mixed with 150ml cold water
- 1 level tbsp grain mustard
- salt and pepper
- 6 fat, herby pork sausages
- 100g prosciutto
- 3 tbsp lard or vegetable oil
- Whisk together the eggs, flour, milk, mustard and seasoning until it's the consistency of double cream, beating out any little lumps. Rest for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 220 (200 if fan assisted)
- De-skin the sausages then wrap each one in a piece of prosciutto
- Put the lard or oil in a roasting tin and leave it in the oven until it is smoking.
- Pour in the batter and then arrange the sausages in the batter, mind your fingers!
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and puffed up serve with your veg of choice and onion gravy.