Slow-cooked beef pie with celeriac rösti crust
The first week of March is Great British pie week and in addition to offering 3 for £10 on Jarvis Pickle pies we whipped up a pie using some beef from Wells farm with some lovely seasonal veg.
- 500g cubed beef
- 300g celeriac - coarsely grated
- fresh horseradish - finely grated
- 200g baby carrots - whole
- 100g baby parsnips - whole
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2tbsp plain flour
- 50g butter
- 500ml beef or vegetable stock
- Season then brown the cubes of beef a little oil in a pan then add the carrots and parsnips and let them brown lightly.
- Peel and lightly squash the garlic and add them to the pan, then, as they colour, add the flour.
- Cook until the flour has coloured, then stir in the stock, and simmer for 10 minutes. Tip the filling into a small pie dish.
- Mix the grated celeriac and horseradish with 50g melted butter, toss together gently, place on top of the beef filling and bake for 1¼–1½ hours in an oven set at 160ºC