Nick Wood's Leek, Mature Cheddar & Honey Quiche with Spring Salad
Anyone else feeling the lock-down takeaway's taking their toll? We definitely know that feeling, but this amazing recipe gives the perfect healthy pick me up for any lunch time or even dinner time meal!
- Place butter, salt and 50g of the flour into a bowl and bring together to form a paste.
- Then add the water to form a creamy batter and once all has emulsified add the remaining flour and mix until smooth.
- Allow to rest at room temperature for 1 hour
- Roll out the pastry and line a tart case and allow to rest for 20 minutes in the fridge
- Remove tart case from fridge and line with a couple of layers of cling film, fill with baking beans and bake blind for 20 minutes at 170c
- Then take out of oven and remove baking beans and cling film
- Then brush the egg yolk over pastry and bake for a further 5 minutes
- 200g leeks, washed and cut small
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 100g grated mature cheddar
- 500ml milk
- 60ml double cream
- 4 x whole eggs
- 2 x egg yolks
- Fine sea salt
- Cracked black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- ½ tablespoon honey
- Sweat down leeks in a touch of olive oil along with the garlic and a touch of sea salt until leeks are soft.
- The drain of well on kitchen paper and allow to cool
- Fill the tart base with leeks & then top with cheese.
- Place eggs, milk and cream in a bowl, season with sea salt, pepper and cayenne pepper and whisk up and then pass off the liquid.
- Carefully pour liquid into quiche to the top and then bake at 160c for around 40 minutes or until cooked
- Once cooked remove and allow to cool
- Once cold, warm through honey and brush over the top of the quiche
- Salad leaves
- ½ teaspoon fine diced red onion
- Touch of fresh lemon juice
- 10ml red wine vinegar
- 20ml extra virgin olive oil
- Wash of salad leaves & spin dry
- Combine the remaining ingredients to make dressing.
- When serving toss dressing into leaves