Jack O'Donovan's - Pan fried Salmon fillet, Spring vegetables & watercress cream
Now this is Fine Dining at it's best! An absolutely stunning dish, full of flavour - and healthy too! And now you can make this yourself at home in a few very easy to follow steps, impress the whole household with this incredible dish!
2 x Salmon fillets
200g Jersey Royals
350g Fresh broad beans
50g Sugar snap peas
3 Spring onions
½ Lemon zest and juice
50g Unsalted butter
1 Tbsp chopped dill
Watercress Cream (This will make more than you need but can be used as a soup next day or frozen if preferred)
1 Bunch fresh watercress washed
2 Banana shallots finely sliced
1 Clove garlic minced
1 Maris piper potato peeled and finely sliced
250ml Chicken stock (Water if not available)
100g Unsalted butter
50ml Double cream
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To make the watercress cream sweat the shallots and garlic in olive oil until softened, add the potatoes, chicken stock and butter, put a lid on and simmer gently
- Finely chop the watercress stalks and add to the potatoes and shallots, keep the leaves and smaller stalks separate.
- Once the potatoes are soft add the watercress leaves, stir for 20 seconds or until the leaves are slightly wilted, add double cream then blend until smooth, adjust the seasoning and chill over ice to retain the vibrant green colour, the consistency should be like a thickened soup.
- Gently simmer the Jersey royals in seasoned water until tender, drain off the water and slice the potatoes in half
- Prepare a pan of boiling salted water, remove the broad beans from their pods, cook for 1 minute then refresh in iced water, peel the outer skins off and set aside
- Cook the radishes for 2-3 minutes, the peas for 1 minute and the spring onions for 30 seconds, refresh in iced water then set aside.
- Season the salmon with salt and pepper, add to a pan with olive oil on a medium heat and cook skin side down for roughly 3 minutes or until the skin is golden and crisp, add 20g of butter, turn over then finish in the oven for two minutes and leave to rest.
- Add the remaining butter to a pan, once it starts bubbling add the vegetables, season with salt, pepper, lemon juice and zest the finally add the chopped dill, toss altogether
- To serve, warm the watercress cream and add a large tablespoon to the centre of the plates, add the Spring vegetables then carefully place the salmon on top, garnish with a sprig of fresh watercress and a piece of spring onion