It's starting to feel extremely Autumnal and with the nights rapidly drawing in it's putting us in the mood for cosy, comforting suppers, and this fish pie is just the ticket!
7 large potatoes, peeled and diced into 2.5cm/1 inch squares
200g fresh spinach
1 onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, halved and finely chopped
200g cheddar cheese
1 lemon, juice of
1 teaspoon English mustard
100 g flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1kg fish pie mix
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 230°C/450°F/gas 8.
- Put the potatoes into salted boiling water and bring back to the boil for 2 minutes.
- Carefully add the eggs to the pan and cook for a further 8 minutes until hard boiled, by which time the potatoes should also be cooked.
- At the same time steam the spinach in a colander above the pan. This will only take a minute. When the spinach is done, remove from the colander and gently squeeze any excess moisture away.
- Then drain the potatoes in the colander.
- Remove the eggs, cool under cold water, then peel and quarter them. Place to one side.
- In a separate pan slowly fry the onion and carrot in a little olive oil for about 5 minutes, than add the double cream and bring just to the boil. Remove from the heat and add the cheese, lemon juice, mustard and parsley.
- Put the spinach, fish and eggs into an appropriately sized earthenware dish and mix together, pouring over the creamy vegetable sauce.
- The cooked potatoes should be drained and mashed - add a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper and a touch of nutmeg if you like. Spread on top of the fish. Don't bother piping it to make it look pretty - it's a homely hearty thing.
- Place in the oven for about 25-30 minutes until the potatoes are golden.