Creamy organic mussels with smoked bacon and cider
- 1kg organic mussels
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- 150ml good-quality cider
- 3 banana shallots finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons double cream
- Olive oil
- Put a large pan on a high heat with a lug of olive oil and add the sliced bacon, cook for a couple of minutes until it starts to colour, then add the sliced shallots and garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add the mussels to the pan with the cider and another lug of olive oil.
- Cover with a lid and leave to steam for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the mussels have opened. Shake the pan occasionally.
- When all of the mussels have opened transfer them to a large bowl or platter, leaving the juices in the pan.
- Heat the juices until bubbling and then stir through the cream and then pour over the mussels.
- Serve with crusty bread to dip