Classic Victoria Sponge
The classic British recipe, just in time to support Team GB in the Olympics. This is an oldie but a goodie and can be topped or stuffed with our delicious, seasonal Kentish strawberries!
For the cake:
- 230g Self-raising flour
- 230g Caster sugar
- 230g Butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 4 Large eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- A pinch of Salt
For the filling:
- Preheat the oven to 170°C
- Grease two 20cm wide tins and line with baking paper
- Simply add all of the cake ingredients to a large mixing bowl and combine using a hand mixer
- If the mixture is too dry, add a splash of milk to loosen it
- Spoon the mixture into the cake tins and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes
- Once cooked, place on a wire rack to cool.
- Once completely cooled, spread the jam between the two cake slices
- Whip the cream into thick peaks and spoon inside on top of the jam
- Lastly, dust the cake with icing sugar and place cut strawberries on top
- Serve and enjoy!