Love watermelon but hate food waste? These pickled watermelon rinds are a delicious and healthy snack or garnish, delicious in tacos too!
- 400g watermelon rind with a little flesh still attached
- 275ml water
- 100ml white wine vinegar
- 100g white sugar
- 2 jalapeño or green chillies
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 4 tsp salt
- Peel the hard skin off the melon rind and cut into bitesize chunks.
- Put the water, 1vinegar, chilli flakes, four teaspoons of salt and the sugar in a saucepan, bring to a boil, add the rind, return to a boil and turn off the heat.
- Fill a clean kilner or jam jar (1L preferably) with the pickled watermelon and juice and top with sliced chilli or jalapeño.
- Once cooled they are ready to eat and will keep in the fridge for up to a month.