Panzanella salad with UK Heirloom tomatoes
Make the most of UK tomato season with a Panzanella salad. Substantial enough to be a meal in itself, perfect as a side dish or part of a spread with a BBQ.
- 200g sourdough bread or ciabatta, cubed or torn
- 600g ripe heirloom tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 red onion, peeled and very finely sliced
- 2 of roasted red peppers, cooled and sliced
- A bunch of fresh basil
- 1 handful small capers, drained
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Salt & pepper
- Place the bread on a tray to dry out, this will help it to drunk up the juices and dressing.
- Put the tomatoes in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Rinse the capers, squeezing out any excess liquid and add to the bowl, along with the onion, peppers and bread.
- Toss the mixture together with your hands, then stir in 2 tablespoons of vinegar and about 3 times as much extra virgin olive oil. Taste and add a little more seasoning or oil, if needed.
- Tear in the basil leaves, stir together and serve.